ROCK THE QUARRY
TRAIL CHALLENGE 5K & KIDS FUN RUN
13th ANNUAL ROCK THE QUARRY TRAIL CHALLENGE 5K & KIDS FUN RUN:
2021 Date – September 11th, 2021
2021 – Results – CLICK HERE
2021 – Results (By Age Group) – CLICK HERE (*updated on 9/15/21)
Awards will be available at Mountain Running Company (Asheville) starting on Sunday 9/12. If you were a top finisher and won a cash prize, you will get an email with further info.
“Like” us on Facebook for race updates – https://www.facebook.com/rockthequarry
Locally owned and operated Grove Stone & Sand Company is proud to host the 13th annual Rock the Quarry Trail Challenge 5K and Kids Fun Run in the heart of the Swannanoa Valley. Rock the Quarry 5K Challenge is a foot race with a mission to bring our community together to celebrate good health in our beautiful surroundings while supporting our neighbors. All proceeds from the event benefit Grove Stone’s neighbor, the Black Mountain Home for Children, and long-time partner, Asheville Museum of Science (AMOS).
There will also be a Fun Run this year for kids ages 10 and under. The Fun Run will be a 1/4 mile loop thru the woods and will cost only $5.00/child. The kids will not receive a shirt but will receive a “ROCK” headband for participating. Please pre-register kids for the fun run on the registration page.
WHEN // September 11th, 2021
WHERE // Grove Stone & Sand – 842 Old US Hwy 70, Black Mountain, NC – Participants will need to access the property from the back gate located off Lake Eden Rd.
Google Maps Link to the Back Gate for Race Entry – CLICK HERE
ENTRY FEE // Early Registration (June 15th – August 15th) – $30; Registration (August 16th – Sept 10th) – $35; Race-Day – $40; Kids Fun Run (10 and under) – $5.00/participant
REGISTRATION WEBSITE // https://raceroster.com/events/2021/48838/rock-the-quarry-trail-challenge-5k-and-fun-run
ANNUAL NON-PROFITS // All proceeds benefit Black Mountain Home for Children and Asheville Museum of Science (AMOS)
RACE SCHEDULE //
Saturday, September 11th, 2021 – The Kids Fun Run begins at 9:15am and the 5K will have a rolling start from 9:30am – 10:00am. We encourage all competitive runners to arrive at the start line at 9:30 AM for a group start. If you’d rather run on your own and start individually, you have until 10:00 AM to begin your run.
PACKET PICKUP// Packet Pick-up will be the morning of the race only. There won’t be an early packet pick-up this year.
AWARDS // Awards for top male and female finisher in each age group & CASH PRIZES to the 1st ($200), 2nd ($100), & 3rd ($50) place overall finishers. Masters Division (40 and over) overall male & female finishers receive a gift card to Mountain Running Company!
SHIRTS – Long Sleeve T-shirts (soft tri-blend) for all participants guaranteed if registered before August 22th, then while sizes last. Feedback from last year’s race is that the RTQ shirt will be your new favorite running shirt! Shirt sizes are all uni-sex sizing this year. 2021 shirt image below:
Age group awards will go to the 1st,2nd, & 3rd male and female finishers in the following age groups: 14 & Under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59,60-69, 70 & Over. Masters Division (40 and over) 1st overall male & female. No double dipping!
The Rock the Quarry team wants to keep our participants, staff, and volunteers safe from the spread of COVID-19 so here are a few things that will be in place this year at the race:
- Rolling Start – this year there will be black race mats that record your time at the beginning of the race and the end of the race. This allows runners to start whenever they want between 9:30 – 10:00am which will keep the initial crowd at the starting line from getting too big. Check out this video out from iDaph that explains the rolling start – https://youtu.be/rMv44AQVXqg
- The Awards Ceremony will be virtual and posted after the race. Awards can be picked up at the new Mountain Running Company location next to Whole Foods on Tunnel Rd. We ask that runners after the race get their refreshments and food and then head to their cars so a large crowd doesn’t form.
- We’re going to encourage social distancing before and after the race.
- We’ll have hand sanitizer stations around the start and finish line.
- If a participant isn’t feeling well on race-day, we can easily switch their registration to a virtual option. We encourage all runners not to attend the race if they’re not feeling well on race-day.
- If runners want to wear a mask/face covering until the race starts and put it back on at finish, they are more than welcome to do so. Please respect everyone’s comfort level.
COMPANY QUICK LINKS
Material Sales >
Sustainability Report PDF >
Hedrick Blog >
Affiliations / Awards >
Rock the Quarry >
Download Credit Application >